5 Top Tips for Creating and Maintaining an Awesome Website
Your website is a direct reflection of you and your business. In fact, it’s probably the most important reflection of your business, aside from your customer service! Often, the website gets overlooked, especially when it comes to maintenance, because business owners are simply too busy to keep up with everything. Whether you do it yourself, or hire someone like me to do it for you, make sure your website stays on top of your list to keep updated, fresh and always current!
Here are my top 5 tips for creating your website and keeping it up to date.
1. Before you start creating your website, you will need to choose your domain name (URL) and your web hosting service. There are a lot of DIY (Do It Yourself) services to choose from (GoDaddy, Wix, Squarespace)* and some are free for a simple website – or you can hire someone like me to perform these services for you.
2. When creating your actual website, keep in mind that you don’t need to get elaborate – your design can be simple, for example, do not use too many font styles and limit the visuals to only what you need to catch your customer’s attention. Just remember to tell your audience what they need to know about your company:
a. What does your company do?
b. How do your customers reach you?
c. Pricing (if applicable)
3. Make sure your site is responsive to mobile devices. According to statista.com, in the 2nd quarter of 2020, mobile devices (excluding tablets) generated 51.53 percent of global website traffic. So it’s super important to make sure that your audience can view your site effortlessly and properly on their mobile devices.
4. Optimize your site for Search. Having a high SEO score will maximize your chances of getting people to your website and ensuring their experience is optimal. Most DIY web hosting services will offer tips for optimizing your SEO potential, or again, you can hire someone to take care of it for you.
5. Maintain your site. I cannot overstate how important it is to make sure your site is always fresh and current! You have so many things to do, and so the website keeps getting pushed down on the list. But even if it isn’t top of mind for you, remember that your website is --more often than not-- the first impression your customer has of your company. A stale site can even lead your customers to think you may not be in business anymore, so it’s incredibly important to keep it up to date. Here are some things to think about in maintaining your site:
a. Make sure your contact information stays current. If your address or phone number changes, make sure to update it on your site.
b. If you have pricing listed on your site, make sure it’s always up to date. It’s frustrating to customers to see one price online, and then have you tell them something else. This goes for menu items and services as well. For restaurants, if you no longer feature an item, make sure it isn’t still listed on your website. If you are a spa or salon, same goes for services that you may no longer offer. Customers get frustrated if they see something they can no longer get, and you may lose business because of it!
c. Lastly, but maybe most importantly – create content, content, content! Creating new content consistently will do great things for your business! It will keep your website looking current and fresh. It will make your website more robust and active. And it will help to increase your SEO score.
i. An easy way to generate content is to create a blog. Most DIY platforms have
blogs built right in, making it super easy for you to include one on your site.
Write about what you know and what your customers might want to learn
about your business/industry. This also helps to set your brand up as a leading
professional and builds trust within your audience.
ii. Additionally, you can create content using videos. Using YouTube, Facebook, Instagram or another video building site, you can easily create and upload “how‐to” videos, sales videos, customer reviews, or even just converse with
your customers – tell them about yourself and/or your business.
Creating an awesome website and keeping it maintained are crucial elements to the success of your business, so make sure you always keep these tasks at the top of your to‐do list! If you are just too busy to assign this the importance it deserves, then feel free to contact me and I can help you out!
*I do not receive any compensation for recommendations.